Monday, May 14, 2007

Podiatrist visit

I had my first visit to a medical professional for a running related injury last Friday.

As most would know I have been complaining of ankle pain that I have suspected to be Achilles heel for a few weeks.

The visit to the podiatrist revealed some things I already knew and a lot of things I didn't know.

It seems that I have had some slight Achilles pain but the Pod thinks it is related to something else.

Brad the Podiatrist showed on a foot skeleton how he thinks my Calcaneus (or heel bone) and Talus (ankle bone) are striking together. He explained how through his prodding, bending and the description of my symptoms he came to that conclusion.

Brad also filmed my feet while walking on a treadmill and showed that while my right leg walks straight and proper, my left foot misbehaves and over-pronates considerably.

My left foot has now been strapped up and padded to stop the pronation and Dr. Brad has encouraged me to run on it to see if the pain abates.

Since the visit I have run 20 minutes on the treadmill at work, 10km's early Saturday morning and a 12km this morning.

I have to admit that the padded and strapped foot doesn't feel too bad. There is only a little residual pain around the ankle and I suspect an orthotic insert maybe the answer.

I had my foot x-rayed yesterday and I go back to see Brad the Podiatrist on Thursday hopefully for some answers.

Snake Party

My son Ben had his 8th birthday party on Saturday and we had arranged for Raymond from Snakebusters to visit and entertain the hordes.

Raymond put on a very entertaining show and I would recommend any Melbournians to consider him for a kids party.

Ben struggling under his body weight in snakes.


Lucy with a snake and a baby crocodile (yes its real).


Spark Driver looking relaxed while keeping a snake away from his neck.

Apologies

My apologies go out to my regular fellow bloggers. Due to being very busy lately with work, kids parties and school commitments I haven't had time to catch up with all your blogs.

I do feel guilty for my poor time managerment skills and I will try to catch up soon.


12 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Good progress report on the achilles.

Um did you count as many kids 'out' as you did 'in'?

;-)

2:02 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

That POD visit sounds promising SD.
and you got 20+k in...how much further to go on your journey?

3:59 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I don't see any red-belly-blacks in that lot.

Good news re the possible solution to the achilles problem. Perhaps too much running on the Hume ;)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Wow, that party is cool!! The kids have seen this mob at a few events like pre school parties and the like, I never considered having them for a party before..
Your kids are lovely healthy looking kids...aren;t they special ?
I know all about commitment with school and kinder and work and ohh...the kids' own social calendar!! They have a party every weekend for the next few weeks.

6:33 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Cool party idea! I tape my feet up every time I run for the various feet problems- I am now used to it and it really works.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, glad you went to the Pod, certainly sounds like an orthotic may be the answer, I hope it all sorts it self out soon.

The snake party looks like a blast, what a great idea. We used to have people from Healsville Sanctuary come to our school when we were kids, it was so much fun.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

It's better that you went now, the "Pod" will fix you up. Yes, also cool idea for a party it will certainly be a good memory for all the kids that were there.

Let us know the outcome of your next pod visit SD.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, that seems a lot more promising than we all originally thought. Sounds like you are in good hands there.

I had no idea snake parties existed - what a fantastic concept! I'm kind of glad they weren't around when I was a kid though :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. Hope you & the Pod have got it sorted.

I'll put comments on my blog re the Aldi gear once I've actually worn it on a run. Comments on a cr thread recently were all positive.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Sounds like you are in good hands with Dr Brad SD... always good once you have a diagnosis and a plan for fixing the problem... best of luck.

Snake parties - now wouldn't that be a novel idea here in little ol snake-free NZ !! My daughter would love it !! I on the other hand, would run a mile!! Although I did get brave and touch one that a handler had a Healesville once! Great pics!

Cheers, MAR.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Jadey said...

Sounds like we have similar ankle injuries (well for at least one of mine anyway)
I have an anterior ankle impingement on the right ankle. Which sounds like what you are trying to explain (although I'm not sure if yours is posterior or anterior)

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home