Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Great Train Race

or alternatively titled

"How to run 13.2km's with a hangover."

It was an ordinary start on Sunday. My daughter had her 10th birthday party the night before and in usual children's party tradition it was an excuse for the adults to have a few drinks.

The plan was to be in bed by midnight. A glass of water between every Bourbon and Diet Coke and I would be fit for the morning. Unfortunately bed didn't happen till 2am and the water drinking didn't happen till it was way too late.

I had told myself that hell or high water I was racing a train in the morning. In my inebriated state I felt like that if I 'Did Not Start' it would signal the end to this running caper.

So with 6 hours recovery time I was up again getting ready for my first Great Train Race.

As a child I was raised in the Dandenongs and knew the layout of Belgrave fairly well. I had a secret sneaky place planned to park and was a little surprised to find everyone else seemed to know of my spot. I parked a little way out of town and took the 10 minute walk to the starting area.

After dropping my bag off I searched out and found some other Coolrunners. Eat 'Em, Wobbly Man, Tigerboy and Chilliman (sounds like a gathering of the Justice League of America) were gathered together talking race strategy. I also caught up with Blkbox, Sekhmet and Deege at the start line. I think Morseyruns freaked me out and said hello when I didn't know who she was (Spark Driver is written on the back of my Coolrunning hat). As always there was other CR's that I have forgotten with my most humble apologies.

The event started pretty much on time but I was situated fairly well back in the crowd It wasn't much more than a shuffle for the first kilometre and a half.

The route is very scenic and apart for a nagging need for No. 1 toilet I enjoyed the first half of the race very much.

I hear groans from many but I have come to realize that I do enjoy running hills. Maybe it is my body design of short legs/long torso that helps or my semi-regular hilly training routes but I find I can power up moderate hills when many around are slowing down or walking.

At Menzies Creek I had a quick, toilet detour then buckled down to finish off the race.

The Garminator announced that I had run 9km's in 50 minutes and I knew I was way down on my best pace but I was still happy to be out running.

Travelling through Emerald I could hear the whistle of the second train behind me and was determined to finish in front of it. I upped the intensity to a sub 5 minute pace.

The last two kilometres I could hear the whistle of the 2nd 'Ladies' train draw closer and closer and at one point I thought I could even hear the chug chug of the engine.

The last kilometre was almost a sprint with a 4:37 split and I was pleased to cross the finish line in Garmin time of 70:44.

The 2nd train eventually finished in 75.56.

I picked up the Number 11 spot prize of a pair of Brooks socks and headed over to catch the first train departing back to Belgrave.

On the trip back I spent a lot of time thinking of my throbbing ankle and reflecting what running means to me.

Since starting running nearly two years ago I have achieved so much.

5km ,10 km, a Half and the Melbourne Marathon events to name a few. It has had many highs and a few lows.

The Bellarine 34km rail trail in August '06 at a 93 kilo weight was the highlight. This current ankle injury would have to be the low.

As I sat in the train, currently weighing a very disappointing 100 kilo's, I decided that running is something I still enjoy and want to continue.

I need to fix this Achilles problem and I need to break that 93 kilo barrier.

Next year I not only have to beat the 2nd train I also need to beat the 1st one (57.54 this year)!

Since Sunday I have taken the first step and booked an appointment with a Podiatrist. The earliest time available was this Friday morning and apart from a couple 30 minutes sessions on a treadmill I have been taking it easy.

Drop back during the weekend sometime and I will fill you in on the latest.

I will blog off for now. It is time to catch up on my friends that I have neglected lately and read all their running news.

11 Comments:

Blogger LBTEPA said...

Good run - 4.37, crikey! Good plan - see a podiatrist to look after your achilles(and if you're not happy, see someone else!).Excellent plan - don't give up! Everyone has ups and downs, you will get through this :)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Ruune said...

Great to meet you on Sunday.

I think that your race sounds pretty good despite the niggles etc. Get back on track and look forward to having a better crack at the train next year.

12:20 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Yes that was me! Glad you beat one train at least- though the bourbon probably wasnt a great preparation idea.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

I will definitely check back in on the weekend for the good news! :)

1:22 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice run Spark Driver - good to see you are going to get professional help for that ankle.

Looking forward to reading about your progress.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Spark, I think we're in similar positions right now. Lost a bit of motivation, everything not as easy and exciting as it once was but we both know we need to keep at it. Getting the ankle checked out is a start and 4.37 kms is nice and tidy so don't stress too much.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Yes, definitely let us all know how you go. And don't worry too much. I did all my PBs after I was sidelined with my achilles injury, so there is life afterwards :-)

Also, one good thing (the only good thing really) about being injured is you are reminded about how important strengthening and stretching exercises are. We tend to neglect these things when we are running well.

I have no doubt you will come back stronger and faster!


PS Ha ha, I always thought morseyruns was a guy :-)

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, great effort for turning up on one of those "morning after the night before's". I think if that was me, I would have piked it.

With all my runs along the Yarra I've noticed not seeing you every now and then. Likewise for SeeScotRun.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's an awesome time from the first train! Great bragging rights if you can beat it next year.

Ask 2P about losing the bag of cement;)

By the way, I was the very slow runner in the video clip with the walking frame :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger Jadey said...

I have some major foot and ankle problems happening too so I am very with you on this one. VERY impressed that you ran through it though. No way I can at the minute, hopefully it won't come back to bite you on the arse later.

Good luck with the podiatrist. I have my appointment on Wednesday night :)

9:41 PM  
Blogger Beakus said...

Hey SD, just catching up, and really sorry to hear you've got a problem with your ankle... but you are most definitely doing the right thing by NOT ignoring it :o) look how long I procrastinated with my ITB problem... and it turned out so easy to sort :o/ paws crossed for the Pod appointment. I agree with Tesso about the positive side of injury, and learnt a very valuable lesson in that respect.

Anyways, well done on the GTR, that is one act of bravery toeing the line with a hangover... and the last k? B****y hell, wish I could so that the morning after the night before! :oD

I'm sure that by next year you'll be storming along in front of that first train.

B.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home