Saturday, May 19, 2007

Second Podiatrist visit

I returned to see Brad the Podiatrist on Thursday for his diagnosis of my ankle troubles.

The x-rays had returned and I had my evaluation from the strapping ready.

From the x-rays Brad says I have a condition called posterior talor process impingement (try saying that when you are pissed). Apparently my Talus bone (ankle bone) has an extra growth that is striking against the heel bone.

It can also be called Trigonum. But actual Trigonum implies this bone is loose in the ankle joint which mine is not

It can be fixed by surgery, but Brad would like to correct the 8 degrees of pronation that also goes on in my stupid left foot, before he cuts me open.

He showed me three different types of orthotics, a cheap store bought, a custom foot adjusted orthosis and custom made functional foot orthosis.

The last two sound fairly similar but the $300 difference in price tags certainly puts them apart.

I expected a Podiatrist to recommend the $500 orthotic and I wasn't disappointed. I told Brad I would think about it and get back to him.

The main advantage of the dearer orthotic he said was its durability. It would last four to five years and the cheaper one would only last around two.

Then again it may not offer any improvement to the ankle pain. The strapping reduced pain by only around 60% and it may ultimately need surgery.

I think I will do some more research. I will make another appointment for two weeks time.

Train Pics

Often while travelling around Melbourne and its suburbs I look out of the cab window on my train and think "That looks like a nice place to run."
This picture was taken from the rail bridge between Westgarth and Clifton Hill on the Hurstbridge line.

It is looking down on a bike path that follows the Merri creek and I always think it looks pretty cool.

Road to Rockhampton

My progress to Rockhampton has slowed down quite a bit in the last few weeks but I am still plodding along.

I am currently approaching the small town of Breadalbane. Apart from some references to Ben Hall's bushranger gang I couldn't find much history regarding this place on Google.

I did find that Breadalbane is a Scottish word and it means "Highland Scotland" in Gaelic.

Thank you Mr Google for that useless piece of trivia.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might be mistaken but I think that track is a part of the Captial City Trail which encircles Melbourne. A nice track all the same.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Ruune said...

The Merri Creek Trail joins the Capital Trail. But it still rocks. I do my long runs on the merri creek trail and mostly it is great.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Seems wise to research this a a bit more yourself SD. There might be a cheaper/better alternative for your "posterior talor process impingement."

You're right its is hard to say pissed.

Cheers!

9:52 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

My podiatrist has a practice in the city - he's a genius, email me if you want his details.
I have the mid $$$ orthotics BTW.
I live at the very end of that trail! Love it!
Glad you're back posting mate:)

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Spark,
If you can avoid the surgery, it is usually a better option. While they may be able to fix one problem, it can cause others, especially with the scar tissue.
I've been lucky after three knee reco's that they still work fairly well. But I have had that much of the cartilage removed I know I am really going to pay for it in years to come.
I say give the brace you feel is best a go for a while, the human body is very good at fixing itself, with a little assistance.
HooRoo
Rebecca

11:04 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Gees, does that mean I'm going to have to get drunk before I read your blog from now on :)

Good luck with the research. It is a lot of $$. Though I got some custom made for around the same amount 4 years ago and they kept me free of foot and ankle problems. I've only just had to have them replaced.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Well, podiatrists sure to know what tey are on about, and I am glad he gave you three options to think about. I guess it also depends on how long away surgery will be and of course, after you have done as much corrective work as possible.
The image fom the railway bride is just lovely, would lik trid my bike there some day :)
The bit of history lesson there, all good, LOL at google's not helping you out :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I remember driving through Breadalbane - interesting trivia about the name.

Re the orthotics... a fast lady runner from our group has had both types - the solid (expensive) ones and the cheaper 'heat moulded' ones.

She much preferred the 'heat moulded' ones as they were more comfortable in the shoe and didn't cause blisters. She only uses the $500 ones for walking shoes and reckons they're next to useless (for her).

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you driven the Lilydale train at all this week?

Thought I might have seen you on Wednesday whilst waiting at the Mooroolbark crossing in the early evening.

Good luck with the Pod.

1:13 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

so what's happening with your foot? I.Have.to.know!!!!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home