Sunday, August 19, 2007

Making a rewarding effort.

Thanks to everyone for your great words of encouragement. It is hard to slack off when I think of everyone I would be letting down.
I have picked up with my running. I have had three runs of 10+ kilometres including a late night, 2 x laps of The Tan. This morning I also completed a local 12.5km run in 1:04:42. Not a bad effort for a slacker.

Running is something I still enjoy. But with work, sleep, family and CFA commitments it is hard to schedule it into a busy life. The best time I have found is early morning. When you can roll out of bed there is not many distractions or reasons to make excuses. Unfortunately with my shift work I need to get all the sleep I can grab.

I seem to have to make an effort to get out for a run. Though I do admit it is very rewarding when I get back home afterwards.

Mornings have brought me a new project that I have been sinking my teeth into.

I mentioned briefly in my last post of Walking School Bus. Walking School Bus is a project involving the local council, school and parent volunteers.

I have established a bus route that weaves in and out local streets. I take my own two kids, Lucy and Ben and we collect another ten on our 1km walking journey to school.

It has been a great way to encourage some exercises with the kids and take five cars away from the school peak hour chaos.

While going over my old blog entries it was interesting to see some of the old pictures. I could see how fit I looked at times and I decided to add this one for future reference.

It has been awhile since Oscar has been for a run and I decided to take him in an attempt to get back to where I started from. As you can see he loved the first five kilometres of the 10km run but struggled to bring it home.

The Queensland State of Orgin top is another story. About 15 years ago when the NRL were playing the first State of Orgin match at Melbourne's MCG, myself and a few friends bought tickets for the game. My friends were both ex-pat New South Welshmen and were wearing team guernseys. I shopped at Canterbury in the City and much to my friends disgust I brought the Queensland Orgin top as it was the only one I liked.

From memory Queensland lost that game against the Blues and except for the streaker at the start of the game I didn't have the foggiest of the rules, game play or anything else that went on.

Now I find the top is good for colder weather running and it has been getting a bit more of a workout lately.

After a couple of weeks lapse my Run to Rockhampton continues. I have calculated that I am close to Prestons, on the outskirts of Sydney, and at a crossroads.

Should I turn right and take the South Western Motorway for a triumphant run through the streets of Sydney. Or keep my eyes on the prize and follow the M7 Westlink to Eastern Creek?

Decisions, decisions...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those walking school buses are an awesome idea, it was something that we just did naturally when I was a kid. We were never driven to and from school, my dad and another dad from the next street used to walk us.

7:10 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

I appreciate the dramas with shift work- it is so hard to get into a routine, but constantly mixing up our training is probably better for us. Head to Sydney I say. (Oscar looks exhausted!)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

I ran part of the M7 on the weekend, its quite a nice path.

PS Love the jersey :-)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Cough, splutter... you should run over the harbour bridge - one of the best runs in Sydney. Just don't be wearing that Qld jersey unless you're able to run fast!

We always walked to school. A shame kids can't do it these days. The walking bus is a good way to bring it back.

8:04 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

What a good idea
Great to have you back too SD :)

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing you run around the Yarra, I'll be there.

Check out this link, anybody you recognise.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

thanks for stopping by. I'd love to run a few races down under, as well.

gotta run, pat

2:30 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

It is not the road you take, it is the fun you will have taking the road home that is important..oh hell, what am I on about? LOL
Glad you are back..

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't catch you at the Lake Attack, wasn't feeling great over the weekend, so decided to give it a miss this year!

Look forward to your results. We'll have to catch up for a run one of these days!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you sure look livlier than Oscar SD ! Don't be too hard on yourself, winter doesn't help and you have so much else going on... You're obviously a committed father and husband and a hard worker - so call it being 'involved' rather than being 'slack'...!
I say run the Sydney HB too! SO much fun - but as per Ewens advice, not in the jersey!! (PS: I support Queensland too, much to the disgust of all my friends and family!) Hey, just keep the journey going, thats the main thing! :-)
MAR.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home