Saturday, December 10, 2005

Running on the Gold Coast

Hi all. We arrived back home on Thursday after a long 2 day drive in the car (reminder not to drive to Queensland again!) and even though our holiday was fun it was good to be back home.

On the Gold Coast we stayed at Miami, about 5/6 kilometers south of Surfers Paradise. We had a fantastic resort, the Grande Florida, and I highly recommend it. With beachside access it was a great place to run from.

On the Thursday after our arrival I set off early for a run and was rather surprised at the amount of people out running, walking and bike riding at 6am! Most were walking with a few on bikes and even less running. I figured with the humidity the smarter thing to do would be to walk. But since I have started running I haven't been known for being too smart hehe. I set off on my normal run/jog pace and followed a pathway north for around 25 mins, I then turned around and ran back to the resort. At my regular speed I estimated that to be approximately 10 kilometers. The air felt heavier than what I am used to so by the time I got back I was fairly stuffed. Jumping straight into a pool to cool off was bliss.

The next day I headed south for 15 minutes then returned home. South bound was a bit more interesting with a hill over the South Nobby Head and steps to climb. The crowds were out again in the early morning.

Saturday morning I again headed south but the scene was a bit more somber. There was a surf lifesaving helicopter hovering low over the coast near the South Nobby Head with numerous lifesaving watercraft in the water obviously looking for something. The crowds were out again, this time for a stickybeak and I found out later that a young Victorian man on his end of school trip had drowned in the surf the evening before. I ran 15 minutes down the coast then returned with my thoughts with the teenager and his family.

Sunday and I ended up walking 15 minutes south then returning as it was warming up quite early. The search was still continuing but it seemed to have been scaled back considerably.

Monday I ran south aiming to do 25 minutes then returning but at around 20 minutes I found the Burleigh Head National Park. There was a trial through the forest that looped back on itself. It added and extra 5 minutes to my time but the park was well worth it.

Hamish Sorensen's body was found Monday morning at 8am. At only 18 it is such a tragic loss of life. My condolences go out to his friends and family.

Tuesday I ran down to Burleigh Head Park again. Such a pleasant place for a run with the shaded trials. It is an asset to the area.

Wednesday morning we left early for the long drive home (with a lay-over in Forbes).

That was my week away. The wife thinks I am nuts for running most days of our trip but I really enjoyed it.

I gave myself a day to recover from the drive then Oscar (who stayed with friends) and I went on our local 10 kilometer run this morning. Completed in 57 minutes it was a little slower than normal but something to improve on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like the ideal runner's holiday, Spark Driver!

I also have an "Oscar" in the family! He's the Cav. King Charles Spaniel sitting on my lap in the photo above...thinks he's a movie star! Have a happy Christmas!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Holiday bliss, runs every day in new national parks and along the beach.

If your wife's not careful she might gradually catch the bug. Buy her some runners for Christmas.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

I imagine seeing the search party is an image that will stay with you for some time. Depressing stuff :-(

Pity you didn't time you holiday a little better, you could have joined us in the Kurrawa to Pt Danger run on Sunday. It takes in a lot of what you ran last week, including those dreaded steps.

Next time!

6:28 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Sounds like a fantastic holiday - I'm envious. Nice runs too ;-)

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home