Friday, November 25, 2005

1st Blogged run.

This morning I set the alarm early at 0650 for my regular morning run. When I say regular I mean every 2nd day. I have a 10 kilometer running path that takes me from home in Narre Warren Sth to Hampton Park Victoria and back.
I usually run with my dog Oscar. He is a black Staffordshire Bull Terrier who absolutely loves my new found fitness regime. We tend to have the path to ourselves so I usually let him off the lead to do his own thing. He does understand if we see other people, especially dogs he has to go back on the leash. He is not at all aggressive, more than likely to lick someone to death. But he does look mean. Most people I pass either adore him or are scared of him so we try not to freak people out.
The first couple of k's are pretty boring, we follow the footpath through my newish housing estate (about 10 years old).
At 2 km we pass a horse paddock that has a couple of Shetland ponies residing. Oscar gets excited here and always has a good look. Biggest looking "dogs" he has ever seen.
Around the 4 km/20 minute point it gets a bit more interesting. We cross over a series of bridges spanning a waterway. It is quite wide with a large variety of waterbirds too look at. I see this as just under the half way mark and am settling in well.
The next 4 km's are usually pretty gruelling. I run along a concrete bike path that has absolutely nothing to look at. I feel I lose a fair bit of time here as sometimes I am not doing any more than a shuffle. Might look at changing that route a little.
8 k's I can make a decision. I can either head home and cut it to a 8.5km run or push on the extra 2 k's. Today I did the extra.
I follow the bike path a bit further. You can see to the end of 1 km here and it is not a bad stretch. I then round the corner and try and push myself hard for that last kilometer home.
Completed that today in 54 mins. I have done this a few minutes quicker before but currently I am on a low calorie diet so am prepared to lose a bit of energy and time.
At the start of this year I gave up smoking and ballooned out to 115 kilo's. That really freaked me out so I have been exercising ever since. I have got my weight down to 105 but have stalled on that for the last few months. Last couple of weeks I have started a low calorie, liquid diet. Replacing 2 meals a day. Today I woke to see 101.5 on the scales and I am thrilled. I hope to get to 90 kilo's so I am not carrying the extra weight for running.
Well that is more than enough typing for today. Time to give the one fingers a rest hehe.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Onya Damo (& Oscar). Welcome to the team. :)

11:39 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Good to see you Sparks - hope you find the blogs motivating.

Sounds like a good run you've got yourself mapped out there

11:52 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like a great course you have mapped out there to run.

Well done on the weight loss. With all the running I'm sure you will reach you goal weight before you know it.

PS I had a (very fat) cat called Oscar once. Unlike your dog it was the laziest thing you've ever come across.

7:29 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Welcome Damo.

Congrats on the weight loss - I look forward to readin g lots more posts ;-)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Will look forward too seeing how your running and typing improves.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home