Sunday, November 27, 2005

Bloody Trains

Yesterday the wife and number 2 offspring had to go to the Children's Hospital for a check up. My son was born with 1 club foot and had it operated on to straighten. He is 6 years old now and fairly active. For the last few years we have had to make a yearly trip to the Children's for a progress report. The doctor gave him a thumbs up and said we can make our next appointment in two years woohoo.

As I stated in my profile I am a Train Driver. I am on leave at the moment and one of the perks of the job is a free, state wide travel pass for my family and I. To save a few dollars on tollways, petrol and parking we caught the train from Narre Warren to the hospital yesterday. Even though I am an employee I found the reliability of the trains very disappointing. The forward journey to the city arrived in Melbourne 10 minutes late and the return journey was delayed by at least 20! The trams where no better after one of them broke down! It is no wonder regular commuters get so frustrated.

We went to a friends place for a BBQ last night. They live 6 kilometers away and I have always wanted to run it. I set out with a 20 minute head start on the rest of the family in the car and was making great time. It is a hilly path with a gradual incline followed by a steep decline for the first 3 k's. A flat section following a busy road for 2 km's (why do young men in "P" plated cars feel they have to shout out to runners?) . Then a decline followed by a incline to get to their place in the last 1 km. I left Oscar at home for this one because it was a bit warm. I didn't realise it was over 30c till I got to their place absolutely stuffed. It took me 32 minutes and I was thrilled that I beat my family in the car. Our friends think I am absolutely nuts! I felt the effort deserved an extra sausage for dinner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wobbly man said...

Just one extra sausage? Surely there was some serious deyhdration to combat also? Welcome to blogging BTW!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Welcome to blogland! ALL my family and friends think I am nuts!! 30 degrees... yuck! I am not a fan of the heat!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home